Thursday, November 10, 2005

Introductions: from Brian Canny

Greetings to all! I will be one of two students blogging the EPIC 2005 conference. Let’s start with a little background information. My name is Brian Canny, and I am a graduate student in applied anthropology at the University of North Texas. I have an undergraduate degree in English and philosophy and currently work in systems support at a market research firm in north Dallas.

My areas of study include the interaction between people and technology, how one influences the other (and vice versa) as well as the local and cultural factors that influence adoption and usage. Currently I am starting a project with the Denton Community Network to help expand its computer training and instruction courses to targeted communities throughout the Denton area.

I live in Denton, TX, with my wife, Jennifer Canny, who is working on her graduate degree, with a focus in environmental anthropology. I will be blogging throughout the conference, so please feel free to approach me with any comments or feedback. I will post a picture as soon as I can recharge the batteries in my camera.

4 Comments:

Blogger John Fizgerald said...

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the conference. Are there some text books you would recommend in the field of corporate enthnography?

John Cabra
Buffalo, New York

11:19 AM  
Blogger tracy said...

Ann Jordan, who will be at the conference just had a book come out recently called Business Anthropology. Check it out!

5:39 PM  
Blogger ken said...

So we have set sail on an EPIC adventure

8:12 PM  
Blogger Lisa S said...

Though there was much of academic interest, as a business user of enthographic research the conference failed to deliver for me. There was little praxis covered for how to use the information gleaned. Specifically, how are businesses supposed to use this information and insights to achieve results? Many of your papers stop at observation ?

For your dicipline to grow and be funded, it can't just be foreplay, we need satisfaction.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home